Monday, May 11, 2009

....Painting...this is supposed to be fun right?

Yeah so I've discovered I'm not having a whole lot of fun painting right now. The Tzeentch tank was more work than I thought. Now I'm painting the Tau crisis suits. I have one 99% done and let me say this: painting white over black...when did that seem like a good idea. It's kinda a pain in my ass and as I rush to get it ready for Kublacon I'm starting to justify not finishing.

"I'm just gonna sell them to Gavin and he's going to strip them probably..."

"Manny and Trent probably won't even have theirs done..."

"If I smash it against the wall...."

Painting season is just about done for me. I do this every year. The month of Kublacon I race to get some models painted for the big show. Then I don't paint, minus a day here or there, until about September.

Then football starts. And I'm on the couch from 10:00am until about 7:00pm, with a few interludes. Plus monday night football. And I can't just watch football. The local teams are the 49ers and the Raiders, so you see why. You can only watch a car crash so many times before it becomes dull. But even if its interesting, I can't just sit and watch. Don't ask me why.

So I paint. I get the lion's share of my painting done during the fall and winter. This year I got done about 110 models. I know what you're thinking: that's not a lot of models for all that time on the couch. To which I would reply thusly:

One: Shut up.

Two: I paint slow. I'm a deliberate painter.

Three: believe it or not there are interesting games or portions of games where I watch.

Four: painting every sunday for the whole time is the myth. The reality is I paint about 75% of the time. The wife and family do have some demands about me 'being present' at crucial parts of their life.

Five: Shut up.


Anyway, come the end of January, playoff season ends. Usually I've still got the painting bug, mainly because I'm not done with whatever project I'm working on at that moment. So I generally pop in DVDs of a favorite TV show, something I've watched like a dozen times, and keep painting. This year I just watched four seasons of Battlestar (up to the last ten episodes) in like 3 months.

In February, I paint almost every weekend and some nights. In March, I paint most weekends plus some nights. In April it's half the weekends plus some nights. And then in May I paint mostly on weeknights trying to finish whatever project for Kublacon, by which time I'm exhausted from painting...

Then the paints go away until September at which point a wind-chimey voice in my head says "And so it begins..."

Yeah, so no pics right now. So if you just read this whole thing for that, neener neener.

No comments:

Post a Comment