Friday, May 29, 2009

Kublacon Report: Day Five

Right, so we wake up, go through the morning rituals. I'd actually gotten to bed at about 1:00 so I was positively refreshed! Anyway, Scott and I went back to our game while Manny watched Jocelyn.

Remember how I said there'd been another chainsaw on the field? Well we did it wrong. I forgot to add the crowd frenzy for the first chainsaw...which made the result a pitch invasion.

And this was where the wheels came off the bus for Scott: first, his chainsaw guy got beat up by the crowd. Scratch 1 chainsaw and the Dwarrf holding it is KO'd. Then 5 of his models were stunned. I also had 5 stunned models, but 4 of them were Snotlings.

Interest story: there's this one snotling doing a "na-na nanaa!" face. He spent the whole game getting stomped all over the place...but was never KO'd. His new name is Petey Bootprint!

From there, it was just a beating. I think I won 1-0 or maybe 2-0. But the game was fairly unimpressive as the Dwarves simply could never get enough assists when it came to dodging. I'd knocked out Scott's Troll Slayers early, to prevent just that sort of thing.


After the game, we had an hour before I had to take Manny to the airport. He and Scott decided to try and squeeze in a quick 1500 pt game of Cardhammer: Dwarves vs Undead.

This time Manny learned to leave the bony guys home and took Zombies. Basically he took a ton of Zombies, 2 Zombie trolls, and an abomination. The game got called just as it got interesting, with Scott busting through the zombies at various places, but the final rush into a pinch ended up exposing the flanks of his units to the second wave. The Longbeards had taken a rear charge from the zombie trolls in the center while some crossbowmen were desperately trying to hold off the zombie trolls on the left flank.

So we packed Manny up and took him to the airport. It was sad to see him go, but I can't say the weekend went too fast. We'd crammed just about as much gaming as we could with an average of 20 hours of awake time each day. Still, I was sad to see my friend go.

Getting home, Jocelyn went down and I suggested Scott try and beat the Ogre Kingdoms BGFW list. Scott also wanted to see how taking crossbowmen as Core would be. So we configured a Kingdoms tree, giving him enough gold to get to the keep. We made Hawkshold our mercenary faction, but neither of us took them.

My list was the usual: 4 Ogres, a Hydra, and a Healer Mage. His list was 4 units of crossbowmen, 2 ballistas (to kill that pesky Hydra), and a unit of Longbeards. The mission was Total Warfare with the terrain set so there was a small hill in the center flanked by a fence on either side.

He deployed with his crossbowmen on the left and center, his ballistae on the center-right, and his longbeards holding the right flank. I deployed basically centered with the table: Hydra in the middle flanked on either side by two units of ogres. The healer mage went behind on the left side of the hydra.

It went poorly for Scott. His crossbowmen moved into short range, but my Ogres were on him by turn 3. Sadly, on turn two, they'd ended up abutted to the fence. So while I didn't get slowed down by it (being Large), I did benefit from it. Meanwhile, the hill and the Ogres to the right of the Hydra shielded it from the Ballistae. Meaning the Hydra only took a wound or two, which it healed.

The Ogres on the right of the Hydra, though, took the brunt of the Ballistae firing. Essentially both units were weakened to the point that when the Longbeards got their, they sent the one surviving Ogre packing.

On the left flank, though, things were different. The Ogres and Hydras simply ate through the four squads of Crossbowmen. Combined pinches, failed fear/terror checks, the Healer Mages, and Scotts inability to draw red cards when he needed them meant the Dwarves were done for.

Eventually the Hydra turned, and ate the first Ballista. It got charged by the Longbeards, but the sheer number of attacks the Hydra had meant that even attacking to its flank, it simply ate the wounded Longbeards. Then is was a charge into the flank of the last Ballista with something like 12 attacks.

So my desire to build a fun, silly Ogre Kingdoms-esque list has resulting in a pretty tough army. They all move 5" and the Healer Mages can really make the difference with key heals at the right time.


But with that game, the Kubla weekend came to a close. Jocelyn woke up, and I went about trying to clean up the house from the whirlwind. Evenetually Mer came home (we forgot to take the car seat out of her car, so I couldn't take Scott home), we had dinner, then I took Scott home.

All in all, a great con. Much better than last year (which was the least fun I'd had at Kubla, so a poor comparison). Probably as much fun as 2007, which I ranked as the best Kubla I'd been too.

I'll post some pictures of my finished Tau later. The tanks has been absconded while the Tau have been pre-sold. Meanwhile, I got crazy and bought a new Blood Bowl team (what is wrong with me?). Because, you know, with the new IG army, the Ork Flash Gitz I have to build, and the IG guys I need to convert and paint, I don't have enough stuff to do.

Final Game Count: 16.

No comments:

Post a Comment