Thursday, May 28, 2009

Kublacon Report: Day 2 (pt 2)

After Rezolution, it was pack the stuff up, drop it off upstairs, then grab some dinner, then back down to the miniatures hall for our 40K for Pink Slips event.

This event has a storied history. Essentially Trent tried running it in 2007, but without many takers. So we decided for shits & giggles to do it at Kublacon. I'd always wanted to play with a Demolisher and some Tau Crisis suits, hence my painting for the last month or so.

The event ended up being much more popular than we'd anticipated, with 8 people clustered around my sole 8x4 green table cloth. Oopse.

Anyway, round 1 was my Demolisher vs Trent's drop podding Black Company Furioso Dreadnought. Yeah...bad matchup. Round one, Trent dropped in, moved up, missed with the meltagun, and then charged the tank. Pop goes the tank. Done on turn one.

But wait. You can't assault out of deep strike. So we put the two vehicles back where we found them. I turned and fired with my lascannon and plasma cannons, missing horribly. (I was using the old IG Codex because otherwise I'd come out to more than 200 pts). Furioso moved up and shot, killed my tank with the melta. Game one done. Twice.

Now Trent could pick from either my Tau crisis suits or my tank to take to the next round. He choose the crisis suits. Which actually suited me fine, because I got to play with his Movie Marine.


Round 2: Demolisher & Movie Marine vs Nurgle Demon Prince & IG Veterans in a chimera.
If you don't remember, the Movie Marine list is in White Dwarf 300. I've played the whole list, and it's really fun. This time I got to play a Space Marine Dude and his 5 extras (essentially 5 extra wounds).

The mission was to grab a piece of terrain in the center of the field. I advanced to get some shots then withdrew to put the objective forest between me and the chimera, to essentially deny shots. My movie marine layed on some Assault 3, Rending love to his demon prince, putting it on its last wound before charging in. Sadly the dice went poorly and my movie marine died. The demolisher made up for it by killing the demon prince.

Unfortunately, because I'd backed off, the random game length meant Manny held the objective. So despite staring down a demolisher from 24" away, he won.

Now you may ask why I made such a bonehead move. Well, there's two answers. First, I really am capable of that level of stupidity. Second, we made brought down about 15 or so Captain Morgan & Cokes. And I make them like so: pour the Mooooooooooooooooooooorgan, pour the coke. Three of those and I was having myself a good time.

Also, there was one other reason I was happy to concede to Manny. I knew who would pay the winner of our match. This guy played like this event was a Grand Tournament. He was looking for the most brutal combos he could. In fact, at one point, he looked at me and Trent and said:

"You know, I didn't really think about the combinations you could have until after I got to the con. I mean, I just took some stuff out of my Ork army from the Golden Gargant [the afternoon's 40K tournament]. But you know, there's some real powerful combos you could pull off. I mean, you'd be unbeaten if you brought a Vendetta full of Khorne Berzerkers!"

I remember this moment, despite the booze. Trent and I were playing Cardhammer (more on that in a second). We heard him speak, I saw Trent do the 'blink, blink' and then look at me. He wanted to say it, but Trent's just too much of a nice guy.

I, however, am not. I looked at the guy and said "You're completely missing the point of this event."

Anyway, so while the people who had our armies played, Trent and I decided to play a game of Battleground. We figured we'd brush Trent up on his skills. I honestly don't remember what Trent took in his army (again, the booze) but it was Orcs and Goblins. Mine was my "Ogre Kingdoms" army of: 4 Ogres, a Hydra, and a unit of Healer Mages.

We played until after the 40K event ended. My Ogres got all up in his coolaid with a quickness. Charging wolf riders into Ogres...bad idea. Beyond that, it went bad for him. Trent might be able to chime in with more because it was a bit hazy for me.

We ended the BGFW game early because the Mini Coordinator for Kublacon wanted to try out the Pink Slip. He borrowed Trent's Movie Marines and I used my Crisis Suits. I realized after I deep struck them that dropping them in 6" away was a phenominally poor idea. I had the guy down to 1 wound and I think all his extras (maybe he had one left) before he broke me in melee combat and ran me off the board.

Then from there, I think Trent played him. Like I said...things were a bit hazy in the evening. But still it was fun. In retrospect, it was probably the least fun event I did. Not because any individual game wasn't fun, but because I had so much fun with everything else that, well, something has to be near the bottom.

Anyway, so it was 2:30am and I was feeling no pain, but I knew that was a tab that was gonna come due with interest at about 7:00am. By now, that feeling that this was a pattern was replaced with grim certainty. Only I had a "okay, this is what I'm gonna do. Bring it." attitude. Went up to the room, had a couple glasses of water, watched about 20 minutes of MSNBC's obsession with prison documentaries and crawled into bed.

Oh, and by chance, if that guy I called out at the 40K tournament ever reads this: buddy, my name is Corey Somavia and I live in Santa Clara, Ca. You got a problem with what I'm saying, you can come find me. Just know that I'm a big fan of all ten amendments in the Bill of Rights.

Game Count: 9 (or 11)

(I count the 3 games of the 40K event as 1 game, because they were all really short, but if you wanted to count each seperate I'm at 11.)

No comments:

Post a Comment