Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Orks & Mordians

So I've settled on a couple army designs for my IG, and I've decided to shelve the Orks. This edition of 40K just isn't that favorable to footslogging armies that can't fleet. I've had my Orks torn apart a couple of times and I beat down Trent's Nurgle marines enough to know that with the scenarios out of the book, the way transports, blast templates, and terrain work, that footsloggers just get hosed in this edition.

I supposed I could change up the Ork army a bit, but frankly, I don't want to. Anyone who's seen my Orks knows I put a lot of work into conversions. So for the moment, they go on the shelf to await the pendulum swing of a new edition.

But the IG are the big winners so far. My Mordians feel quite nasty at the moment. I've devised two lists:

The first is the usual Mordian 442nd that you know and love:

Command Squad:
Commander: power weapon, plasma pistol
4 Veterans: standard, plasma gun, lascannon
Officer of the Fleet

5 Ogryns

6 Ratlings

Blue Platoon
Command Squad: autocannon, 2 grenade launchers
Squad: autocannon, grenade launcher
Squad: autocannon, plasma gun
Squad: missile launcher, plasma gun

Green Platoon
Command Squad: autocannon, 2 meltaguns
Squad: autocannon, plasma gun
Squad: lascannon, plasma gun
Squad: missile launcher, plasma gun

Veterans: lascannon, plasma gun
chimera: multilaser, heavy bolter, extra armor

Veterans: lascannon, plasma gun
chimera: multilaser, heavy bolter, extra armor

Banewolf: heavy flamer

7 Rough Riders

Leman Russ: hull & sponson heavy bolters, extra armor

Basilisk


Pretty straight forward, added the banewolf and the officer of the fleet, which is actually pretty in fluff for this army: a 40K version of a British Empire, with a high degree of coordination between fleet and the MEF (Mordian Expeditionary Force).


Okay, the second list is me going "hey, I can take all veterans if I wanted!"

Command Squad:
Commander: power weapon, plasma pistol
4 Veterans: carapace armor, standard, meltagun, lascannon
Officer of the Fleet

5 Ogryns

8 Ratlings

Veterans: carapace, lascannon, 2 plasma guns, grenade launcher

Veterans: carapace, lascannon, 2 plasma guns, grenade launcher

Veterans: carapace, missile launcher, 2 plasma guns, grenade launcher, powerfist sgt.

Veterans: carapace, missile launcher, 2 plasma guns, grenade launcher, powerfist sgt.

Veterans: carapace, autocannon, 2 meltaguns, flamer, powerfist sgt.
chimera: multilaser, heavy bolter, extra armor

Veterans: carapace, autocannon, 2 meltaguns, flamer, powerfist sgt.

8 Rough Riders

Leman Russ: hull & sponson heavy bolters, extra armor

Basilisk


I had to drop the bane wolf and a chimera to get carapace on everybody, so we'll see how that works. I use the chimeras mainly to shoot anyway, but I'll keep the one so that I can use that squad as my active response team. Or I can give it to the Ogryns.

The last two Vet squads have been coined my 'Come Get Some' squad. I found that against Trent, charging in would deprive me of some needed rapid firing with plasma guns and heavy weapon. So I gave the CGS squads assault weapons and autocannons, which wouldn't pop 3+ armor anyway.

The carapace on everybody is a bit of a stretch, but I find as I play more and more that I simply don't give a fuck. Especially when most the people who'd whine about it a) don't have painted armies themselves and b) are just whining little pissants.


Anyway, got a game set up for Thursday against a buddy's Tau. I'll be paring the Vets down to 1500 pts, which is basically dropping the Ogryns, ratlings, and rough riders. I also skimmed a few items here and there to put camo netting on the Russ and Basilisk. I just want to see if they're worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment