Friday, October 9, 2009

Where the hell have you been?

From the Dictionary of Life's Ironies:

Plan: (n) 1) A list of things that don't happen. 2) Existential proof that God finds your frustrations funny. 3) Job security for psychiatrists.

So after three weeks of football (my prime painting season), I had a total of 3 models painted. My test models of the paint scheme. I mainly painted them during week 1. Why you ask? Well, for week 2, my wife had an event for her school, so I was with Jocelyn. It was okay, I passed the time teaching her the words "touchdown!!" (in a high cheering voice) and "football..." (in a low growl).

Week 3 was the local art 7 wine festival (my wife loves going every year). This time was miserable because I was hot and hadn't slept well at all. Followed by a visit to the in-laws for dinner in the evening. With my niece stopping by in between.

This is also compounded by the fact that the 49ers don't seem to made of suck this year, so I find myself watching the niners games. Which means I really only paint during two of the football games, with liberal stops for daughter-time, food, and shower (ranked in that order of importance).

"But Corey, there's Monday Night Football. Perfect painting time!"

Yeah, it would be. Except Mer has enrolled in a Masters program. Guess what night classes are. . .


So yeah, last weekend I was on a "screw it, I'm painting all day today" binge. I got five models about 75% done. This is a far cry from last year when I'd get 12 models done over a day and a half. I blame myself, because after I assembled the models I said "egh, this shouldn't be hard. it's like 60ish models."

God was listening. And he has a twisted sense of humor.


Anyway, pics in the sunlight of my test models:



So, I like them. I intentionally kept the paint scheme simple. Or again, that was the Plan. I guess when you're painting different shades of black, you're not being simple. But I'm not painting eyes on them. I'm going to go with "they're all squinting." Really, I just don't think it adds anything.

The black clothing is Reaper's master series Pure Black, which gave a nice matte black. I then highlighted some places with Vallejo's Black Grey from the model color line of paints to provide a little depth. The boots, belt, and gear (canteens, pouches, etc) were painted with P3 Greatcoat Grey. The boots and gear were then hit with a smoke wash.

The gun was done with Vallejo Game Color black, which is a glossy black. I picked out details and the stock with the P3 Greatcoat Grey. I wanted the gun to have a very artificial feel, since these guys are from Mars, so I labored over what to paint the gunstock to make it look like a synthetic substance. Finally, wayne suggested just doing it the grey.

The armor plates were done with Vallejo's Burnt Cadmium Red from the Model Color line. It's my absolute favorite red. The skin was Vallejo's Dwarf flesh with a smoke wash. Finally any metal bits were Vallejo's Gunmetal Grey.

Like I said, a minimal effort paint job. Hopefully it'll be somewhere between "able to sell for a decent price" and "not going to drive Corey crazy painting it."

K, hopefully more to come before too long.

2 comments:

  1. I like it! Once the bases are done they will look great, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What should I do for the bases? I was thinking some stones and then ink them red (like I did my Rez CSO . . . which are also from Mars), but I dunno.

    ReplyDelete